Sunday, February 21, 2016

Coevolution and the Microbiome

Coevolution is defined as cases where two (or more) species RECIPROCALLY affect each other's evolutionary dynamics. Reciprocally is highlighted in every way that I possibly could in the preceding sentence because this aspect really is key. It's a difficult concept to get a grasp on and an even more difficult concept to actually test in nature. I don't want to spend too much space going over the ins and outs of coevolution because numerous people that are smarter than I am have done that in accessible ways...My favorite being Dan Janzen's "When is Coevolution". (For other good lists that are slightly longer and more intense, see Scott Nuismer's or John Thompson's Google Scholar page). I'm missing a bunch of other stuff out there, but it's late so please forgive me and add any other great links in the comments.

I mention this because there is a lot of work being published on microbiomes right now, and I'm sensing a pretty strong tendency across manuscripts and presentations to state that microbiomes and their hosts have "coevolved". In some cases this is certainly true (best examples I can think of off the top of my head are nutritional symbionts in insects, some nodulating Rhizobia in legumes, Plasmodium in humans, and Vibrio-Bobtail Squid). Here's where it gets fuzzy, and I'm largely focusing on human microbiome studies here because they often get all the press...in many cases where researchers claim that microbiomes and hosts have "coevolved" there is absolutely no evidence that this has happened. Sure, there are trends and correlations that make it seem likely that coevolution has taken place. However, read the Janzen piece above again and find me a study where researchers have reciprocally tracked genetic changes in the microbiome and have seen direct evolutionary (read:heritable) changes in human host populations. It's nearly impossible (let alone ethically challenging) to track fitness in human populations over time and cleanly and directly relate those to changes in the microbiome. Codiversification != coevolution, so any story that mentions Helicobacter pylori and humans is pretty much right out (h/t to Jonathan Klassen for that one). Moreover, health != fitness. By definition, obese people are unhealthy yet they can still have kids at a decent clip (note, I'm unaware of studies actually measuring the fitness affects of obesity in humans but would love to hear about them if you know of any). Likewise, much has been made about H. pylori affecting human health negatively through gastritis/gastric cancers and positively through asthma/GERD prevention. I'd love to hear how these things directly affect fitness in human populations, but there's absolutely no data to these points. Proto-humans might well have had gastric problems from H. pylori, but I'm betting that there were many other things that directly impacted their lifespans and fitness with greater magnitude. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's impossible that humans and their microbiomes have coevolved, I'm saying that there is no direct evidence that directly addresses the hypothesis of coevolution outside of a handful of pathogens.

All of this is a roundabout way of saying that studying (and demonstrating) coevolution is really really really difficult. You need to actually measure how species 1 directly influences evolution in species 2 AND how species 2 then directly affects evolution of species 1. Reciprocality is key. There are many examples where species 1 influences some trait on species 2, but that doesn't mean that evolutionary dynamics in species 2 will be affected. Likewise, it doesn't mean that species 1 will then be reciprocally affected by this trait change.  Moreover, we don't have good models of host-microbiome coevolution because the math is difficult/complex so we therefore don't have very clear ideas about what parameters matter most to drive coevolutionary dynamics. One of my near to mid term goals in science is to try and change this, so as a first step I'm trying (fingers crossed) to organize a workshop at NimBios (probably in Fall 2016) to bring 35ish smart people from across the globe together to talk about how we begin to frame questions about host-microbiome coevolution. If you're interested please fill out the form at the following link: http://goo.gl/forms/G79CwnhYc8

I'll be submitting a workshop proposal by March 1st, and will keep you up to date on what's happening. If you're curious about NimBios and workshops, overview can be found here: http://www.nimbios.org/workshops/

2 comments:

  1. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 29 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer, ease of treatment and a similar story, except for my first acceptance as a rejection of herbal medicine. I was not part of the Perseid movement and did not really build relationships with any of them, I just believed in their operation. I say this because it was during the use of Dr. Itua herbal medicine that I now attest that herbal medicine is real, the phytotherapy Dr. Itua heal my breast cancer which I suffered for 2 years. Dr. Itua herbal medicine is made of natural herbs, with no side effects, and easy to drink. If you have the same breast cancer or any type of human illness, including HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer. , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN / MAN, LOT OF LOVE, LOTTERY. ITS CONTACT EMAIL / WHATSAPP: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for http://mychrobialromance.blogspot.com/